Thursday, June 23, 2005

Melancholy Baby


My best friend is being abducted.

Ok, maybe I'm exagerating just a little.

Jenn has been my best friend since 7th grade. She was in 8th grade, but we both were scheduled for Mr. Vail's quiet study at Danvers High School right after lunch period. On the first day of school I arrived in the classroom and sat in the very front row. Suddenly I heard a voice from the back of the room saying, "Psst.... Hey ding dong, Nobody sits in the front row for Study Hall! Sit back here by me." She's been saving me from my innate dorkiness ever since.

Well now she's gone and married a hockey coach whose job requires them to move all the way to Switzerland. I cannot hop on the "T" and go to Switzerland. This is causing an unexpected amount of angst. The fact is, for the past few years we've both been busy with our own young families and haven't seen each other as much as I would have liked, but at least I always knew where she was. If I wanted to talk to her I didn't have to calculate time zone changes and deal with overseas phone service.

I am in serious danger of being thrown into some nostalgic gloom where I will be found wearing my old baton squad uniform, drinking Zima and listening to Michael Bolton sing "How Am I supposed To Live Without You" over and over again. The only cure for this is Sushi. Whenever life gets crazy Jenn and I leave the kids with our respective hubbies and meet for Sushi. Does Sushi go well with Zima?
Posted by Hello

No comments: