Friday, June 03, 2005

Knitting in Toyland

I have a new daily read and I just added it to my list of favorite knitblogs . Go visit Knit & Tonic . Just be warned, after reading it you'll want to go to Glampyre Knits and get the pattern for this which is evidently Highly addictive. I think I may have to knit this myself for a little instant knitty gratification once the sock is done. Yes, the sock looks like it may be finished today. No really, I mean it this time.

As I read other knit blogs I'm always astonished at how quickly other people turn out completed projects. Unfortunately what I practice is something that I like to call "extreme knitting". I have a gaggle of young children so whenever I sit down to knit I always know that I will be interrupted and forced to get up at least three times a row for the putting on of little shoes, the search for a lost toy, refilling the sippy cup, etc. I also know that when I do start knitting I will have to do so while dodging peanut butter & jelly fingers with a 2 yr. old trying to climb me like Mt Everest. By the time my little darlings are asleep for the night and I could actually do some knitting I am catatonic.

Which brings me to my third point. No, the Rowan Flame pattern is not done yet either, even though this should be a fairly quick project. I'm on the second halter strap now which requires me to reverse the shaping while doing decreases at both the neckline and armhole at varying rows. This has become similar to those word problems that made my head hurt in 6th grade math class. Yes, I can figure it out and do it correctly, but my sleep deprived brain needs a block of undistracted knitting time to start and finish it otherwise I know I will lose my place and/or my mind. But when will I have a block of undistracted knitting time? Oh, about 16yrs, at which point I will have NO business wearing a low cut halter top.

No comments: