Thursday, April 28, 2005

Nautical Knitting

I live in a seaside town and the colors and textures of that sometimes find their way into my knitting. I knit a shawl sometime ago that was a lovely, soft green/blue mohair which reminded me of seaglass. Last week I found the same brand of mohair (Le Gran from Classic Elite) at my local yarn shop. It was a pale celery green and reminded me again of seaglass. I bought a skein and hope to use it to add some kind of fringe to the shawl using the beads below. I have no idea exactly how I'm going to do this, but I'm hoping and praying for some free time soon when I can lay it all out without worrying that little inquisitive hands will make a grab for it.

I've also been working on my very first lace project. I bought some Shimmer yarn in the color Turquoise Splendor from Knit Picks. The variations in color reminded me of the ocean so I decided to try making a shrug in an Old Shale pattern. I started out on bamboo needles which was a bit of a nightmare. The yarn felt sticky on the needles and I was forever tugging and pulling at it. Finally picked up some Bryspun needles and I'm a happy girl. The pattern doesn't look like much now, but I've been assured that it'll look prettier once it's washed and blocked properly. Of course at the rate it's knitting up, I should be finished just in time to see the Shrug go the way of the Poncho. Must knit faster!

No comments: